Friday 12 December 2014

Random stuff

So it's nearly xmas, I only have one present to make now, simple!

I went shopping the other day because I made $80 sewing a cape for someone. So I thought I'd spend it on a few things I've been needing lately. Among those things I got an awesome pair of suede boots from the opshop!



They just happened to be my size! Feel awesome wearing them and they're extra toasty over tights with a skirt, keeping my legs warm. Haven't had boots for years and not sure why. They're such good shoes to have in winter. 28 bucks is pretty good for a good pair of shoes I think!


Spring is well over but there are still some lovely flowers coming out. These pansies caught my eye, they're growing in our garden. I can see pink and purple lupins growing from the window and the Dahlia's have come up out of the ground again and should be flowering in a months time. The weather isn't very summery, I wonder if it will be a sunny and warm summer or a wet and cold one like last years?

I've been doing a bit of sewing lately, woo! It's been a while since I've had any motivation to sew, but I seem to be getting back into it now. Here's something I whipped up the other day:




It used to be a dress that I made in high school textiles. The bodice was way too small, (I've grown since then) so I cut it off and made the skirt into this top. The Blue silk on the top is a scrap which I think was left in the sun and faded in those interesting pleat patterns.

Here's detail of the top:


Simply gathered the front of the fabric, stitched on bands at the back to hold the zipper tab in place, zig zagged on some decorative silk and added some straps. Easy.

Osk and I saw the last hobbit movie yesterday and I was impressed once again by the costumes! One in particular caught my attention, a patchwork waistcoat worn by a hobbit in the shire. All shades of green woollen fabric, in rectangles sewn in a patchwork. They were all slightly different shapes, and not quite matching up. like they were made from many scraps of fabric. I too have plenty of scrap wool fabric! Mine is going to be dull brown and green tweeds with a few bright patches thrown in.


I haven't finalised the layout yet, I want to get all the pieces laid out and then decide where they should go. I've got the rectangles stacked in 4 different sizes, so the finished fabric will be combination of rows of each size.


Everything is wrapping up for the year! Last production at the theatre, last choir concert for the year... people are graduating uni, holidays are coming... Looking forward to next year's projects, new experiences and opportunities. :)

Now I'm off to play a bit of skyrim, then it's watching a bit of Once upon a time and knitting some more of that green cardigan, lovely.

N

No comments:

Post a Comment