Wednesday 17 September 2014

Creativity back again!

So my parents came back from Australia on the weekend, bringing some of my crafting tools and fabrics with them. I've felt a surge of creative enthusiasm again and have been knitting, spinning and and sewing again with gusto!

What can I make with this?



Something like this.....

I made this bag... to replace my worn out handbag...



I love using up scraps of fabric, specially all the colourful bright patterned ones I have! Those butterflies are wonderful.... So it's a combination of crazy patchwork done in layered strips, with folded triangles placed in the gaps.

And here's a shot of the lining with pockets on either side...


Pretty happy with that! Sums up how I feel about spring, bright and full of life, flowers and butterflies!

The other week I also made this for when I ride my bike:


It is the brightest fabric and it hurt my eyes looking at it while I sewed it But it will certainly help me bee seen when I'm on my bike. It has two options, buttons further in when it's summer and I've got less layers on, and buttons on the edge when it's winter and I'm all rugged up in jumpers and jackets. I didn't bother hemming the edges, they are all just overlocked to keep them from fraying. It's not very stylish but it doesn't have to be really does it?

I've been spinning again because my Mum brought back some fleece for me. It's Perendale 29 micron white fleece. Lovely and soft and a dream to spin, like spinning clouds made of of wool. Funny thing is that this fleece was from NZ in the first place, I brought it back from holiday when I lived in Australia and now it's back here again! Nevermind, it's got me back into spinning again which is good :)


Spinning two different types of plies this time. Since I have more bobbins now I can ply two different bobbins together. So I'm doing a thick and thin two ply slubby yarn. possibly dyeing the strands different colours before plying them. Then a thin single chained plied, so tripled in thickness. No need to get more yarn now, I can spin plenty of it now. There's a full kilo of the stuff to spin.

And a bit of fabric to play with... All my fisherman pants need pockets so I think I'll sew patchwork pockets out of bright silk scraps.


Pretty stuff :)

Also got some old sewing patterns from my Grandma, look forward to trying them out! A pair of socks I hand knitted a few years ago... and a pair of much needed felted slippers, my other ones are completely worn out. Some silk clothing.... and overlocking thread. Overlocker thread is a rip off around here, 13 a spool at lincraft! For crappy poly thread. So white and black threads are welcome, i only have coloured threads so now having 4 in total will make it possible to overlock different things. Especially edging that will show.

I realised the other day that I have been sewing and knitting for 9 years... It feels like I've been doing it forever :) I'll be 22 in a months time or so. Everything is creeping up on me!

Here's a lovely rainbow to celebrate - I got into my Vet nursing course for next year!
Can't wait to start in February.... Only a few months...

No comments:

Post a Comment