Sunday 19 February 2012

The details of a new life

Felt this afternoon like doing some photography, the light is quite good and I felt like capturing the little details of my new life in dunedin which are new or interesting :)

These are my new work boots, though i haven't actually worn to work yet, i'm getting there - slowly wearing them in everyday. They're Mckinley's which are made in Dunedin, how cool! I've seen the factory where they are made. My mum and dad also have a pair each for bushwalking. I think the buckles are cute, and they make me taller, as tall as my boyfriend!



We have been trying to grow basil on our suuny porch but the weather isn't very warm so it grows quite slowly. I think we need a green house here in Dunedin! This is Oscar's attempt, you can just see the tiny little second leaves coming out. Hopefully the rest of feb is warm and then we can have pesto with pasta. Oscar's mum taught him a very good pesto recipe!


The strange thing about this house is the wall colours in each room. I grew up in a house with plain white walls so colour is pretty novel for me on the walls. My dad's room has too be the funkiest, yellow walls with purple window trim! Quite a cheerful room, more than the others which are blue and the kitchen green.

This beautiful box was given to me by Oscar for Xmas. A little treasure chest for my jewellery with a purple fuzzy inside. I love the details on it, the twisted metal, stamped flowers and the actual box itself the way it's made out of pieced shell.


One day at work we were peeling onions - a nasty job but with the bonus of lots of red skins left over, perfect for dying! I asked my manager if I could take them and he said go ahead. Must buy some white wool to dye with this... There are lots of little bonuses to working at produce store and this is one of them :)

On the day I got my job I felt like buying a little reward - some fabric! So I went to the local sewing/patchwork/yarn store and bought this half price fabric. Not sure what I'll use it for, but I have to start my fabric stash somehere....

Found some cheap New Zealand yarn at the local opshop, $3.50 for 8 balls of four ply. I plan on using this yarn held double, i can't use 4 ply for knitting or crocheting and I won't, so slow! But the colour is pretty, stone blue it says on the label.

There are some interesting things in the kitchen including this 60's tile bench which I love. the colour in this picture isn't very accurate, its more of a deep turquiose blue. The wall behind it once had swirling black and white patterned tiles on it too but it was painted over. Which I think is a shame, they would have been a great combination!

I think I'll be doing more blogging from now on, just little projects I do till my long awaited sewing machine comes back.

No comments:

Post a Comment