Tuesday 15 July 2014

At long last - a project finished!

So it's been a while since I finished any of my own projects but I finally have :) I started this scarf at the end of last year as a summer holiday project and did a bit of knitting on it over xmas and not much since. However I cast off last night with two balls of yarn to spare - just enough for a matching hat. Here it is blocking away:


It's so much bigger when blocked! And so long that it doesn't fit on this full size towel either. 


Such a pretty pattern and entertaining to knit, I recommend learning how to purl from the knit side though so you don't have to turn the work every 6 or 12 sts, it makes it a lot quicker and easier to make. It's very much like Entrelac knitting which means it's addicting to knit and the drop stitches were fun to do.

The pattern is Summit from Knitty.com
Needles: 6mm and a 4mm crochet hook.
Yarn: Purple cashmere that my mum brought back from China. It was a 1ply so I took two strands and tripled the thickness by navajo plying them together. The most lovely soft fibre to work with and very warm too. Split very easily though and seems to catch on everything.
I simply made less repeats to make a scarf rather than a shawl, but it's big enough to cover my shoulders if I want more warmth.

Overall very happy with this project! Once it's dry (could be a while in this damp Dunedin winter, I may end up hanging it above the fire if it doesn't dry) I'll take some better photos of me wearing it :)

Jacket is coming along nicely, all pieces cut out and overlocked, just needs to be assembled now. Hoping this week will be a better one, last week seemed to be just one thing after another.. I'm feeling rather worn out, but keen for better times ahead. I think the winter is getting to me, the cold and the long nights... I'm looking forward to spring so very much! Flowers and sunshine and new beginnings! I intend to get out into the garden and plant some colourful flowers and some fresh herbs and salad veggies. Well I guess it's not that long now :)

Having read some other lovely blogs lately I feel inspired to take more photos, not just of my projects but generally. Every time I go for a walk perhaps I should take the camera...

Well that's it for now, progress shots of the jacket to come soon.

N

No comments:

Post a Comment