Monday 26 May 2014

Fabric and yarn - what I spend my money on..

So recently I learnt that the annual fabric sale wouldn't be happening this year, and I was very dissapointed. But, I also learnt that they are instead selling donated fabric during the week, every week in their shop instead. So I went along a checked it out, not sure what I would find...

I asked the lady in the shop where they kept all the fabric and she showed me a room out the back where they keep it all. Not heaps of stuff, but enough to have me excitedly hunting for a good hour! It was a lot more relaxing than the fabric sale which can very stressful with so many people vying for the same thing. I was the only one out there back, so I don't think many people know about it yet.

I got some lovely stuff, a selection of silks, a batik print, some woollen scraps and some soft cotton knit.

Look at that beautiful sheen! I love silk... especially two tone silk woven with two different coloured threads. Crumpled like this you can see the purple and the orange shine out seperately. I got some white silk too, but that won't be much to look at till I dye it. Either solid/batik or tie dye. Probably those last two!


Funky batik on the left is from the sale - $12 for 3m is pretty good. The one on the right is a another batik my mum gave me, also beautiful and the colours change and vary in intensity across the fabric.


Making a circular bag on the knitting machine, intend to shibori felt it afterwards and shrink it down to a decent size and thickness. Going to use a combination of gradient dyed blanks and plain but colourful yarns. Knitting the round seems to work better with thinner yarn. I don't think  my machine likes knitting 5ply yarn....


I'm thinking my knitting machine is from the 60's judging by the booklets that came with it... I'm not sure...

Anyway this weekend has seen us have insane weather! Gust of 160k/m, strong SW's temps in the single digits and very cold nights and sleet, rain , hail, snow and thunder and lightning. I was due to travel last night, but was very glad that the trip was cancelled. So we got a bit of snow, nothing like last year's falls, but still snow. I've spent the last two days inside working on costumes in the warmest room of the house. A good choice since my sewing room isn't insulated and is very cold. 

Work on the costumes is going well, and have enough people to help me now which is good :)
Think this blog will be a bit quiet for a while, most of my creative energy will be going into the secret costumes now. I'll still be knitting anc cooking and beer making though, so I will try and share that on here.

Think I will go and eat something else now, with the weather so cold I can't stop eating!



No comments:

Post a Comment