Sunday 16 March 2014

Back again!

After a long break I'm back again, now we have a proper internet connection! I've been up to a lot of different things :)

 Travelling the north island! This is Mount Ngauruhoe (Mt Doom!) on the left and Mount Ruapehu on the right. What a wonderful sight.. the Volcanoes were the most impressive thing we saw on our trip, Mt Taranaki being even more so.
 Dyeing more blanks again, this time with different wools and colours. My favourite is the tweedy one, both for colour and texture. These will be turned into machine knit socks and hand knit gloves. I'm really excited to be able to make socks in the round on my knitter soon. At the moment I'm just knitting them flat and seaming them together.


Wonderful summer flowers, I don't even know what they're called. There's plenty of them around at the moment. These ones are beautifully rounded and intricate, with curved petals. They look more like those carved watermelons you see in Thailand.

 Dr who coat! There was a nerdy expo on a few weeks ago and I couldn't resist dressing up as Colin baker, the sixth doctor as the actor who played him was actually there! I thought I was entering a cosplay contest with it, but just turned out to be a parade. Anyway, it was fun to make, and now I have an extra funky coat. Colourful enough to cheer up a grey winter's day :)

A new tea cosy! Made from scraps of my own design. In the background is the mushroom kit we got for xmas, we started growing them ages ago, and still waiting on actual mushrooms to sprout out. Here's hoping....

And most excitingly, homebrew!

Our first batch of beer, Irish stout is bottled and maturing right now. Look at how dark it is! Home brewing is becoming a really enjoyable hobby for us and our friends do well out of us with free beer :D We've now got another batch brewing, a lighter, hoppier beer with Motueka hops in it. By May we should be able to start drinking it!

Well that's all for today, but I'm looking forward to writing more regularly from now on. It'll be good to document my projects and share them with you, that is, my readers (if there still are any!)

Current projects:

  • Handspun, hand knitted cabled vest; Woollen Mithril
  • Cashmere summit scarf
  • Machine knit socks
  • Sunflower tam
  • Costumes for "The killing of sister george"
Finished lately:

  • Mum's birthday present
  • Dr who coat
  • Kupla mittens
  • Irish stout
  • Journey's end costumes

No comments:

Post a Comment